Ads 468x60px

Feb 13, 2013

Availability... stories from another's perspective.

I saw the definition of motherhood written the other day simply written as "availability".  I thought that was a nice sentiment but not applicable to my current situation... but God reminded me how wrong I was. As a another girl at the house sat on my bed late at night sharing about her day, it occurred to me, AVAILABILITY!  Discipleship has that in common, the need for you to be available for others.  The moments others choose to be vulnerable is never on our time table and yet I can choose to be available.

I wanted to share a specific story of availability from Gail a recent graduate of Discipleship Training School, who has been changed from the inside out.

GAIL's letter: 
 "I miss talking with you in spanish while we washed dishes over lunch clean up"

ME: (my thoughts)
Little does she know I looked forward to our time as well to show her, she matters. I shared tidbits of truth God had shared with me.  I loved it and looked forward building that friendship. I made sure to be available.  She has a generous heart, who takes beautiful photos, and has amazing potential in God's hands.  Little did I know she had been self mutilating her arms that were covered by bracelets.
Her visible scares from cutting, now a testemony of healing.


GAIL's LETTER:
So many things came to my mind. Remember...
Before, Gail wore bracelets to cover her scars from cutting..
 Now she doesn't have to hide behind bracelets. FREEDOM!
when we sat on the sidewalk and I told you about how I used to cut myself and stuff like that,
 and how sweet and encouraging you were.... Or that time I begun to cry during clean up and you took me to the bathroom and helped me calm down.
So many moments we've shared, and I begin to think about all the wonderful things God gave to me, I can't help but think about you and your friendship.

ME:  It was a moment of availability to share her worth in God's yes.

So, I wanted to say thank you, for allowing God to move and do things in me through you. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life
and for loving me so much.    - Gail



MY Thoughts:  Gail used to cover her scares from cutting with bracelets.  A few motives to cut ones self can come from anger, to self hatred, bullying and other areas of disappointment.  I thought this was a rare thing, but I hear more about it from the younger girls, and think it may be more common than we think.   Better yet Gail is a missionary's kid. 

I asked her about  the bracelets and it took her time to open up, but she did.   Through DTS, the many topics we tackle and discipleship in our community she overcame.  I don't use that flippantly, she was one who hated herself and now truly knows she is valuable   SHe got to know Jesus in a deeper way, a tangible way.  She carries herself different, and  relates to people differently.  Gail reaches out to minister to others now. She is an example of the fruit God has grown in this ministry.   YWAM works together to foster impact in students lives and God is faithfully doing it.


 
Gail made this  picture/graphic at YWAM of  her time in the word and her new view of herself.

Please pray for future DTS students.



Psalms 24:2-6
The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,     the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.
 Who may ascend the mountain of the LordWho may stand in his holy place?  The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not trust in an idol or swear by a false god.[a]They will receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God their Savior.

Such is the generation of those who seek him,    who seek your face, God of Jacob.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Anonymous said...

Powerfully real!